The epic journey of a sibling pair as they trek 2,181 miles from Georgia to Maine on the Appalachia Trail.

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Fantascus Damascus

Virginia!!!!


With three states and over 400 miles behind them, Hansel and Gretel arrived in Damascus, VA, "the friendliest town on the Trail."  A hostel called "The Place" was their first stop, though they quickly determined this was not at all the place to stay.  In Hansel's words, it was a bit sketchy.  Fortunately, in their wanderings they had stumbled across signs posted by Warren Doyle advertising a free bed in exchange for a few hours of work.

So, they called up Warren and he came and picked them up.  Hansel and Gretel soon learned that Warren was nothing short of an Appalachian legend!  This man has hiked the AT 16 times!  "Google him," my siblings said.  Sure enough, Warren is the living legend that they described and he is doing great things for the Appalachian community!  He started the outdoor school at George Mason University, and he routinely leads AT thru-hiking expeditions in large groups (maybe 20 people!).  He sets the rule that if you start the journey, you have to finish.  The only way you can give up on the Trail is if someone in your family dies or you break something.  He's extreme!  I'll include some links to Warren at the bottom of the post.

All these things Hansel and Gretel learned over the course of their Damascus stay, but their good feelings began as soon as they climbed into Warren's car.  The soulful music of John Denver was playing over the speakers, a folk singer who we three siblings grew up with.  As a matter of fact, John Denver was the feature of the very first concert we went to as a family just before he died.  As Hansel and Gretel drove down the road, there may have been a few stray tears that leaked out when "Looking for Space" started playing.  It seemed so appropriate for the life-changing journey Hansel and Gretel were in the midst of completing.  (You can listen to "Looking for Space" if you click here.)

The work that Hansel and Gretel did was to help build Warren's new Appalachian Folk School.  A place dedicated to sharing music making, dancing and hiking.  The school will be able to sleep up to 150 people so conventions can be held and people will be invited to teach in a very open setting.   There will also be homemade quilts and books of interest for sale.

For the most part, Hansel and Gretel moved lumber around the property and carried scraps to the "burn pile."  In exchange for their two or three hours of labor, they were given a free bed, a shower, and they were even able to do their laundry!  It was great to be able to contribute in a small way to such a worthy project!  Thanks Warren and best of luck with your new school!

Happy trails!


As promised, a few links to Warren.  Just click them:
Warren Doyle's Biography
Warren Wisdom Regarding the AT


"Looking For Space"
By John Denver

On the road of experience, I'm trying to find my own way.
Sometimes I wish that I could fly away.
When I think that I'm moving, suddently things stand still,
I'm afraid 'cause I think they always will.

And I'm looking for space,
And to find out who I am.
And I'm looking to know and understand.
It's a sweet, sweet dream.
Sometimes I'm almost there.
Sometimes I fly like an eagle,
And sometimes I'm deep in despair

All alone in the universe, sometimes that's how it seems.
I get lost in the sadness and the screams.
Then I look in the center, suddently everything's clear.
I find myself in the sunshine and my dreams.

And I'm looking for space,
And to find out who I am,
And I'm looking to know and understand.
It's a sweet, sweet dream,
Sometimes I'm almost there.
Sometimes I fly like an eagle,
And sometimes I'm deep in despair.

On the road of experience, 

Join in the living day.
If there's an answer, 
It's just that it's just that way.

When you're looking for space,
And to find out who you are,
When you're looking to try and reach the stars.
It's a sweet, sweet sweet dream.
Sometimes I'm almost there.
Sometimes I fly like an eagle.
But sometimes I'm deep in despair.
Sometimes I fly like an eagle,
like an eagle
I go flying high.





Hansel working in the yard.

A glimpse of the school.

Munching in town.

No comments:

Post a Comment